- February 8, 2016
- LED Market
- 0 Comments
We often get baffled by arrivals of new batteries in the market that are better provider of high energy densities than its prototype. It may stand by 1000 charge/discharge cycle that brings paper-thin attributes by enabling less weight and easy handling. But, are they real? Possibly, yes — but may not fulfill all expectations in one and the same battery. Whereas one battery type may suits your small size and long runtime prospects, this pack will not last and wear out early than expected. Another battery may promise the long life, but the size is bulkier than the latter. A third battery may offer all the necessary traits, but the price would be too high to match the amount invested. The Outdoor Solar Lighting is a specimen of great transformation that best suit the specific applications. Compatible sizing, high energy density and affordable pricing are the factors for best emphasis while the durability comes in second.
Analyzing the batteries on terms of energy density, longevity, maintenance requirements, operational costs and self-discharge will be great to evaluate alternative chemistries against any classic battery type.
1) Weight: Lithium batteries are more cost-effective and lighter (approx. one-third of the latter) than lead acid batteries. When used in solar street lights, lithium-based system proves as more durable than a lead-acid battery placement.
2) Efficiency: Both charge and discharge efficiency of lithium batteries is around 100% when it comes to solar powered street lights allowing equal amp hours both in and out. Whereas Lead acid batteries’ leads to a loss of 15 amps when charging and discharges rapidly by reducing the batteries’ capacity.
3) Discharge: Lithium batteries are great to count on when it comes to 100% discharging in comparison to lead acid that has less than 80% discharging ability.
4) Cycle Life: While Lead acid only lasts for a few hundred cycles, lithium batteries has a lifespan of over 5000 times or more.
6) Cost: Although, paying higher cost of lithium batteries in outdoor solar lighting may get a bad influence on your pocket, but the real cost of possession is far less than the lead acid as final selection especially when it is about life span and performance.
7) Ecofriendly Impact: Lithium batteries technology is much cleaner as well as safer for the environment than lithium batteries.
However both the technologies are used to lighten up the same source that is where the difference between lithium and lead-acid batteries twitches. Lithium batteries are perfect to have higher-quality performance in a safer, durable and long-lasting package.